Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Eco-Friendly Family

We've gone green! Over the summer my family and I slowly started to recycle. We would take our recycling to Kroger, but now we have the convenience of getting our recycling picked up, curbside style, by city trash management! No need to separate paper, plastic or metal! The program is called Blue Bagging, and has really been a catalyst for recycling here in Franklin. Our recycling to trash ratio is 3:1 now! I can see every house around us recycling too! We are just one family, one house, but every house adds up, and every little bit helps!
We're also tree-huggin' it by using energy efficient light bulbs and LED candles- they look so real you won't believe it! After I read that a slow-burning candle in your home could be emitting dangerous amounts of lead and poisoning the air quality for your family, I knew we had to do something to change! We've also started collecting our old electronics, glasses, cell phones, and batteries to be recycled properly. Now we're focusing on being energy and water conscious!
My next move would be to snatch up all our chemical cleaners and dispose of them! While cleaning one day, I thought about all the chemicals I was so willingly spraying to "clean" our home. I watched the particles fall slowly all around me and I realized that soon they would disperse everywhere indoors. Whose definition of clean is covered in chemicals? I do not want my family to be poisoned, but rather safe and healthy. I would like to start buying Green cleaning products that I KNOW are non-toxic and all natural. The saying goes: "You are what you eat", but what about what you're breathing and don't even realize? Just because you can't see the dirt in your air doesn't mean it's not there! Air pollution levels inside can be 5 times more polluted and dangerous than the air outside! Toxic substances can be found in furniture, carpets, paints, synthetic materials, and many other places in your home that you would not think about! Consider the air pollution in your home! Ventilate your house, buy natural products, and just spend more time outside!
Get back in touch with nature and love our Earth! Here we are in the beginning of the 21st Century, and all we can see is a dark future for our children. Help preserve our environment in any way you can! Every little bit helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment